Monday 17 March 2014

Unreleased Rogue Trader Adeptus Mechanicus (Bryan Ansell collection)

I'm starting to run out of adjectives to describe the figures I'm unearthing in Bryan Ansell's collection. Today's figure - an unreleased Adeptus Mechanicus from the Rogue Trader era - is exquisite. But on first glance you may not fully agree with this sentiment:




So why "exquisite"? Well, first it is the only Adeptus Mechanicus figure from the period that actual matches this piece of artwork from the original Rogue Trader rulebook:


A second piece of AM artwork from the rulebook does resemble a figure that made it into production:


And here's the figure by Bob Olley (image from the Collecting Citadel Miniatures wiki):


Now don't get me wrong, I love Bob Olley's three Rogue Trader AM from the time, but it's great to see this unseen interpretation of the facial details of the AM. Which brings me on to the second reason why I think this new figure is exquisite - the fine details (particularly the head):



How's that for a skull? Sinister! The tubes are visible too. Can you imagine what this would look like in the hands of a skilled painter? Here's another side-view that illustrates the extent of the hood, and the size of tome being carried by the AM:


Finally here's a comparison shot with Bob Olley's AM:


The new AM is a little smaller, but then perhaps that's appropriate for the figure in question?

By the way, Bob Naismith thinks this is one of his sculpts.

10 comments:

  1. Many of the unreleased figures you've shown have been interesting, but this is the first figure I have actually coveted for my own collection. The pose and detailing tells you so much about the character of the figure - what a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's his can he get away with casting this cthulhu techo priest lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. More pre slotta please Steve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryan doesn't have too much in the way of preslotta of interest - mainly slotta.

      Delete
    2. Steve: I have an unreleased Inquisitor figure I received from a guy across the pond in the UK in the early 90's. It was part of a trade for an Armorcast Warhound titan as those were harder to come across over there at the time. I sent a picture twice to SoL but never heard back from them. It was purported to be a test sculpt by Adam Clarke. Can I email you a picture of it? My only degree of sadness at this point is that I think I may have lost the backpack for him. The figure consists of a body, a sword with a hand for the right arm, and the backpack. But with your arcane lore, maybe you could verify that this an actual unreleased piece.

      Delete
    3. Yes please feel free to send me pics and I'll try to authenticate it.

      Delete
  4. Every new gem you come up with is accompanied by the same 2 feelings : Awe and frustration that we will probably never get our hands on them...

    I am overwhelmed by both at the moment with this one in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel similarly. Especially about this guy.

      Delete